Train on Thursday: Manuscript Found in Accra, Paulo Coelho

I travel with public transport on a regular base. I always love to check out what other people read while traveling. When I get a chance I take a look if their book would be something for me.
The woman reading the following book is obviously a big Coelho fan. I just noticed on twitter the book was released a day earlier and she was completely lost in the book in her corner of the train.
A novel of philosophical reflection set in Jerusalem during the time of the Crusades. Here a community of Christians, Arabs, and Jews who have long lived together harmoniously have been warned of an imminent attack and certain destruction.  Contemplating their demise, the community assembles to seek the wise counsel of a Greek Copt, who imparts comforting and guiding wisdom on the enduring attributes of human character. The novel unfolds as a sequence of parables on love, faith, sex, friendship, beauty, bravery, loyalty, and success.
I never read Coelho. I am not attracted to his books even though people rave about them. I did promise a friend though who has the Dutch version of one of his books that I will give it a try even though the synopsis of the book do not really interest me.
On this book I saw some notes that it is not in his usual style and some people cannot stand that. I am curious if you read it (it will be released in English later this year but a few other languages have the book already) what you feel on it. Do not hesitate to link your review up.

Do you read while traveling and spot what other people read and blog about it? Feel free to link your post in the comments so I can visit and check out what you spotted or read while traveling.
Previous
Next Post »

1 reacties:

Write reacties
Paheliyan
AUTHOR
10 May, 2013 delete

Don't know what part of me made me buy this one. In this book, Coelho tries to bring together the solutions to various aspects of our life, like enmity, hatred, love, loneliness, but he fails to dilate your pupils. He presents these ideas as answers to the questions asked by the people of Accra. Infact, had the book been full of cliches of our lives, it would have been a bit better. But Coelho went on his own way to write a "GOSPEL", when everyone knows that such things can only find utterance in one's own precarious state. Paulo Coelho is in the prime of his career, and it seems he has forgotten those philosophies that previously drew readers to his books.
If you are in a precarious state, searching for purpose in life, do not read this book. Instead, go for self-help books, they are really better and will encourage you.
Or you may read Coelho's other books, but mind you, this one is a disaster.

Reply
avatar