Train on Thursday: Ventoux, Bert Wagendorp

I travel with public transport on regular base. One of my favourite past times when in bus or train besides reading is checking out what other people read. I usually look these books up (especially when someone is so hooked they don't notice me checking them out) to see if they would be something for me. In this weekly I will introduce you to the books I spotted while travelling.
If you want to join in this weekly feel free to write your own post on the books you spot. That can be anywhere, in the park, on the street, in line at the book store / library. There is a linky in the bottom to link up your post or you can leave a comment!

Ventoux Bert Wagendorp cover
On the 25th of June the young and promising poet Peter Segers dies in an accident on Mont Ventoux. 30 years later 5 of his best friends return to the Provence. André just retired from his career as coke dealer for the rich. Joost is a physicist and won the Spinoza prize but is no being accused of being a fraud. David owns a travelling agency for adventurous trips. Bart is a crime journalist and is working on a book about Spinoza and biking. Laura who vanished after Peter's death turns out to be a stage director in Arezzo.
What happened 30 years ago? Can you undo choices you made? What does time do and what does time even mean? Can love break up real friendship? Can you be blamed for fortune? What is left when you are about to turn fifty? Why do they return?
Is it a good idea to clean your bicycle chain with petroleum, what do you need to think of when you go up trough Forest. Does string theory make you happy? What was between Dominique Sanda the actrice and Friedrich Nietzsche and what are the looks of Caffè San Marco in Triëst? Does anything in life ever ends in something positive?

During the Tour de France this book slowly came on my radar and suddenly it was everywhere. Even in the train people where reading it. Which is probably safer compared to reading on a bike. Ventoux is a mountain in the south of France which is a regular part of the Tour de France hence the attention. I have heard a lot of good things about this book. It should be an easy but beautiful read according to people. Still I am not that much interested. Maybe one day when I am bored I will suddenly think of it and pick it up.




Previous
Next Post »