Train on Thursday: Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage, Haruki Murakami

Just admit if you see someone with a book somewhere you need to know what that person is reading. You do check what other people buy in the bookstore. You keep track what the person before you is checking out at the library and you hate the fact that you cannot see what someone is reading with all these e-readers. If you see a book on a blog with a pretty cover you will check it out in one go if it something for you... you actually do this with every book you see that seems to be of interest of other people. Did you recognize yourself already? If yes do join me in Train on Thursday.
The rules are simple. You spotted a book and checked if it would be something for you no matter how that turned out. Write a post with general information of the book and the reason why it caught your interest and if you did or did not add it to your to be read pile.

De kleurloze Tsukuru Tazaki en zijn pelgrimsjaren, Murakami cover
From July in his second year at the university till January the next year Tsukuru Tazaki only has one thing on his mind. Death. During that period he turns twenty and officially an adult but the day does not carry any special meaning for him. For that period the only idea that made sense to him was to end his life. Even now he does not understand why it has never happened.
Tsukuru Tazaki is alone all of a sudden. His old friends do not want to have anything to do with him since he moved to Tokyo. He keeps busy with daily stuff like getting up, taking a shower, going to college but his life is empty. And even though he never made the step to end his life, grows older and graduates he can never let go. When his girlfriend Sala pushes him to find out what happened all those years ago. The deeper he digs into the past the higher the price of friendship seems to be.

This book was released on Saturday the 11th of January and was all over the place. There was a special Murakami festival with book groups all over the place and every book store you walked into had it on display and everyone was buying it. Though I love Murakami I need to be in the mood to read his books so I did not buy a copy but all the happy faces leaving the story with the new Murakami was a pleasure to see.

I call this topic Train on Thursday as I spot most of my books there. You are free to rename this weekly but do please link back




Previous
Next Post »

5 reacties

Write reacties
Isi
AUTHOR
16 January, 2014 delete

Here it was published a couple of months ago and my boyfriend is reading it at the moment. He is a fan of Murakami too, but he is not enjoying this book very much, I'm sorry to say.

Reply
avatar
16 January, 2014 delete

I am SO JEALOUS you get to read it already!!! I have to wait until August. *sob*

Reply
avatar
Jen G.
AUTHOR
17 January, 2014 delete

Now that cover will catch your attention!

Reply
avatar
18 January, 2014 delete

I've got a review copy of this book and really looking forward to it, but also a bit worried: what if I don't enjoy it? It reminds me a bit of Norwegian Wood somehow, which wasn't my favorite Murakami. I read about 7 of his books, I think.

Reply
avatar
Ciska
AUTHOR
18 January, 2014 delete

Curious what you will make of it Judith. If you are done I would love to borrow it!

Reply
avatar