Train on Thursday: World Without an End, Ken Follet

Just admit if you see someone with a book somewhere you need to know what that person is reading. You do check what other people buy in the book store. You keep track what the person before you is checking out at the library and you hate the fact that you cannot see what someone is reading with all these e-readers. If you see a book on a blog with a pretty cover you will check it out in one go if it something for you... you actually do this with every book you see that seems to be of interest of other people. Did you recognize yourself already? If yes do join me in Train on Thursday.
The rules are simple. You spotted a book and checked if it would be something for you no matter how that turned out. Write a post with general information of the book and the reason why it caught your interest and if you did or did not add it to your to be read pile.

On the day after Halloween, in the year 1327, four children slip away from the cathedral city of Kingsbridge. They are a thief, a bully, a boy genius and a girl who wants to be a doctor. In the forest they see two men killed.

As adults, their lives will be braided together by ambition, love, greed and revenge. They will see prosperity and famine, plague and war. One boy will travel the world but come home in the end; the other will be a powerful, corrupt nobleman. One girl will defy the might of the medieval church; the other will pursue an impossible love. And always they will live under the long shadow of the unexplained killing they witnessed on that fateful childhood day.
Raise your hand if you know how long I have not been making any progress in Pillars of the Earth. It is terrible but the last update on Goodreads was made on July 21th 2013. I have not been listening to it ever since. I am now planning to read the rest in paper but as this is the second book in the series I will not pick it up before I read Pillars.
The guy walking around with the book seemed to be perfectly happy though he was not reading it and I could not spot a bookmark. 






Previous
Next Post »

4 reacties

Write reacties
28 February, 2014 delete

I loved Pillars of the Earth and World Without End! I encourage you to give them another shot. There is sooooo much time that passes between Pillars and World Without End that you wouldn't spoiler yourself if you did read them out of order, but I'm a linear type gal myself and approve of your plan.

Reply
avatar
Jen G.
AUTHOR
28 February, 2014 delete

Lol, I had noticed it was still posted as current read! I loved these two books and say go for it again! I enjoyed them enough to purchase the first two books of his next trilogy (third of the century trilogy comes out in September). Of course, they were also huge hardbacks for $7, which I couldn't pass up.

Reply
avatar
Isi
AUTHOR
04 March, 2014 delete

I also loved Pillars of the Earth; some of my favourite characters ever are there!! But the problem is that once you've read a book by Follett, the rest are more or less the same, and yes: World without end is the same. And Fall of giants, as well ;)
But I keep on reading his books!

Reply
avatar
Melinda
AUTHOR
13 March, 2014 delete

I still need to read The Pillars of the Earth! Then I will read this one.

Reply
avatar