The Miniaturist, Jessie Burton

The Miniaturist Jessie Burton
Author: Jessie Burton
Publisher: Picador
Pages: 438
Format: Paperback
ISBN-10: 1447250923
ISBN-13: 9781447250920
The Miniaturist
3 stars

On an autumn day in 1686, eighteen-year-old Nella Oortman knocks at the door of a grand house in the wealthiest quarter of Amsterdam. She has come from the country to begin a new life as the wife of illustrious merchant trader Johannes Brandt, but instead she is met by his sharp-tongued sister, Marin. Only later does Johannes appear and present her with an extraordinary wedding gift: a cabinet-sized replica of their home. It is to be furnished by an elusive miniaturist, whose tiny creations mirror their real-life counterparts in unexpected ways.


I am not sure what I read but it was not what I was expecting after reading the synopsis. Unfortunately it is not really a positive surprise. I was hoping for a more scary and creepy story but that did not really work out.
Nella is a young and insecure girl from a small town arriving in Amsterdam as the fresh wife of a pretty rich an important man. As if that is not impressive enough her sister in law is living in the house too and pretty clear about her position there.
I enjoyed how Nella managed to get a grip on herself and fight for her life. Marin and Johannes have so many secrets and as Nella slowly unravels them she manages to grow and becomes a woman.
Some of these secrets make for interesting situations. Specially in the time period both Johannes and Marin are involved in life situations that are of great influence on their safety. This was actually interesting and at points shocking to read.
Still the disappointment of the book not fulfilling my expectation of it was of big influence with the experience of this book. I noticed while reading that I was annoyed and not always paying full attention.


Previous
Next Post »

4 reacties

Write reacties
30 March, 2015 delete

Great review! Sorry to read it was disappointing. I recently picked up a copy of this book and hope to read at some point.

Great new layout, by the way! :)

Reply
avatar
Ciska
AUTHOR
30 March, 2015 delete

Thanks! I do think it can be a great read depending on what you expecting.

Reply
avatar
Katie McD
AUTHOR
30 March, 2015 delete

I agree that this didn't quite live up to my expectations. I listened to it on audio, and though the narrator was fantastic, it just didn't pull me in the way I was hoping. Glad I'm not alone, because the masses seem to LOVE this unabashedly. -Katie @ Bookish Tendencies

Reply
avatar
Melinda
AUTHOR
07 April, 2015 delete

I liked this book, but the ending fell a little flat for me :(

Reply
avatar